Tuesday, December 24, 2013

our engagement story

This is a post I've definitely wanted to write for a long, long time. Matt and I have known for so long that the other person was "the one" and that we were going to get married someday, but the waiting was definitely the hardest part! All I wanted to do was to get engaged to my hunk of a boyfriend even if it meant we still couldn't get married for a while! I'm going to be the main storyteller here, with Matt making some comments in blue!

I'm so thankful that my man thought of a personalized, sweet, and thoughtful way to propose to me. Honestly, he chose the perfect way aw, thanks b! and I wouldn't have it any differently.  It wasn't that hard since I had such an amazing person to do it for.
I had been raving about seeing the tree at Rockefeller for months and months (everyone was probably sick of hearing about it) you guys think YOU had it bad? so I knew that would be my most important and exciting stop while in NYC. I thought that it would be a cute idea to propose in New York at the tree but Matt kept saying things that made me feel that it definitely wouldn't happen I had to throw her off! It had to be my best surprise so far!. He would mention that he had to start saving for a ring, or mention things like "next year when we get engaged" to totally throw me off. I was determined not to hope for an engagement in NYC so I wouldn't be let down and so I could just enjoy my time there. 

Matt and I planned for a "just us" date night to eat out somewhere then stop by the tree for some pictures.  I wanted to make sure to plan to do a bunch of things Julie loves to do and make it the best day from start to finish. We started with cupcakes at Sprinkles, shopping, pictures in various parts of the city, and finally a romantic dinner.  At the last minute, we decided to meet up with the rest of his family there after their day out. As I totally expected, the area was PACKED but I was still enjoying every second of it. Little did I know that Matt had a little box that had been in his pocket the entire night waiting for this very moment at the tree. Honestly though, I was pretty nervous with that ring in my pocket. Since the weather was so warm, I didn't have a coat so the ring was in my right jeans pocket.  I totally felt like it stuck out like a sore thumb. I made it my job to keep Julie on my left to avoid the risk of her seeing the (obvious) bump in my pocket. I've gotta say, he is a sneaky guy.
We finally got up to the railing and began to take pictures with the tree behind us. Matt's mom was taking photos and his brother was filming us. I did think it was a little odd that he was filming us but wasn't thinking much of it since we had been filming random stuff throughout the whole trip.

After our first photo Matt turned to me, took my hands in his, and began talking to me. I kept asking him what he was doing, and my heart started pounding and my hands shaking. I knew what was going on, but was feeling so overwhelmed, excited, and plenty of other emotions all at one. Matt said some amazingly sweet things to me my notes app on my phone was filled with all my thoughts and feelings about Julie that I wanted to pull together before getting down on one knee and asking a very important question.
I actually had to ask him later if I even answered yes because I totally blanked on most of what happened while he was proposing she said yes. I know that I rushed down to kiss him and (maybe) cry a little (or a lot) yes..a lot heh. The people around us cheered and clapped which made the moment so much more sweet and special. We all celebrated with hugs and tears before I called and skyped with my family back home. Matt surprised me with a carriage ride through Central Park right after so we could enjoy the rest of our night together. That was just the sweetest little touch!

It turns out there was quite a lot more that everyone had been keeping secret from me. First off, Matt bought the ring all the way back in May and had to keep it for such a long time before actually proposing  boy, that was tough! I'd say I'm pretty good and patient when it comes to secret keeping, but this one was hard.  I think I literally thought about this moment everyday during my commute to school, before I went to bed, or randomly throughout my day.  I was just so excited! My whole family has known about this since September, and Matt's family even sooner than that! My favorite surprise of all is that they all planned to have my family over Matt's house on Christmas day so we could all celebrate the holiday and our engagement together!

I have been so blessed this holiday season with great family, friends, and a fiancé (that sounds so weird to actually say...) tell me about it... The amount of love you have all showed me has been beyond anything I could ever imagine I second that!. So thank y'all for everything these last few days. I love each and every one of you!
Look at that bling! I love you so much Julie!  You are my other half, my best friend, the love of my life.  I am so blessed that God brought us together.  I am so excited to see where He takes us on on our journey! Aw, thanks honey. I love you so so much to the moon and back! I'm so glad that God chose you for me to do life with.

13 comments:

  1. Omgosh this is really cute and so romantic!
    Especially the carriage ride through Central
    Park! I think your fiance did a wonderful
    job with picking out that gorgeous ring c:
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH MY GOSH..... Sooo romantic! Your guy did an amazing job by surprising you like that! This is truly a romantic fairy tale come true. Congratulations to both of you and may God bless your marriage and live a happy and healthy life together always. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yayyyyy congrats girl! What a perfect proposal for a Christmas loving girl like you. :) happy engagement! You two are so blessed to have found your perfect match. Married life is bliss. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the sweetest thing!!!!! I'm so very, very happy for you both!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a precious story! Love the tree pics.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahhhh!!! Julie this was so amazing to read!!! I am so happy for you:) you two shine so much love

    ReplyDelete
  7. Speechless :) So, so incredibly happy for you too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats! So exciting :) Made me tear up :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You two are adorable! What a sweet story. Congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my gosh, this is the sweetest story! I love how he put so much thought and love into that special day for you!
    That ring is gorgeous, not only the diamond, but the band as well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. this is just so so sweet and lovely and all of the above. You two are so lucky that such a precious moment was caught on camera for you to both enjoy for the rest of your lives and for your children to one day see. Completely lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  12. i'm so happy for you!!! such a sweet story. nyc by the tree. dang girl ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just reread this story. I love you guys so much! And am so blessed to see the love story God has written you unfold!!

    ReplyDelete