Thursday, March 07, 2013

all the single ladies, put your hands up

I've seen a lot of talk from some of the most awesome and wonderful people who are struggling with and discussing singleness in general. I'm not single, as you probably know if you read this here blog, but I have a little encouragement to give.

I promise I'm no expert at all, because my love story is completely God's and my own, unique in its own ways. I simply want to share with you all that I know it's hard, I've struggled with the loneliness that can sometimes come with a single life. Looking back after finding the man God chose specially for me, I want to share some wisdom. Gosh, I really don't think I'm qualified to give this advice at 19 years old, but I was just really inspired to share this and I hope God speaks through me on this one.

I would never ever look back from my relationship with Matt now, but I wish I had embraced my single time I was given a little more. Mostly because at this point, I know I'm never going to be in that stage again. I was always upset about "some boy" who didn't like me back, dreaming about my first long-term relationship constantly. I was never satisfied or enjoying just being me. My first point here: ENJOY IT! I know many of you do, and I love seeing that so much because I never had the opportunity to. Use this time to grow in your relationship with Christ, something I never did much before being with Matt (mostly because I wasn't following Jesus at that time). Use this time to learn about yourself, what you love, who your friends are, enjoy fellowship with fellow believers. I really wish I had! Not that these things will be gone when you have a significant other, but you certainly can focus all on your heart and relationship with God.
I am pretty young to have met my "soulmate", but I know it was for a very specific reason (and same with you too!). When I met Matt, I had been exploring going to church on my own for a while, but I realize I hadn't learned the truth of truths: just how much Jesus has really done for us and how I can find salvation in only Him. I don't know if I just wasn't paying enough attention or if the message wasn't clear, but I hadn't gotten it quite yet. Sometimes we need someone or something that gives us that extra step forward to really getting that truth. God had Matt and I in the same lunch period that semester for exactly that reason. He knew I would relentlessly (and annoyingly) pursue Matt and that he would eventually feel the same way about me, and even later on, lead me to Jesus. God knew that at that point in my life, I needed Jesus. He knows very well when your special someone is going to come into your life, how they will grow with you in Christ, and how they are perfectly made for you. After all, He knows our hearts better than anyone, even ourselves!
Waiting is hard. Especially when a lot of people are dating, married, having kids, etc. I know that. And I'm not here to rub that in your face at all. Waiting for anything in life is all about trust. Trusting in God.  Trusting and knowing He has it all figured out for you. And He does. When that truth washes over you, you will find peace. Of course, we all fail at this sometimes, and find doubt and loneliness and anxiety– I know I sure do. But when you give over your love story to God, when you give Him complete control, in His time He will bring you to not just anyone, but a Godly man who is the right one for you. In His time. I know those are probably the last words you want to hear, and impatience is something I know too well, but you have to trust Him that there is a time, reason, and purpose to your story. IT IS WORTH THE WAIT, LADIES! I can promise you that 100%. Because once you find that person God has planned for you, you'll realize that the wait was worth every second.

And finally, this one point I want you to take with you in your heart. I know I said it before, but it's so true I had to blow it up and stick it in your face a little more.

I want you all to know, I am no expert at any of this. I don't know it all. And I certainly don't know your specific journey in singleness or life, for that matter. It's just easier for me to look back upon all the waiting rather than when it was happening, and take something from it. I only want to encourage you in this and I hope I'm not coming across rude or insensitive in any way. If you ever need to talk, or want to talk more about my wait and love story, I'm all ears!

10 comments:

  1. Love this!! You need to link this up to Little Life Lessons! I know a bunch of girls who could use this word!

    http://lindsayladon.blogspot.com/2013/03/lll-shuffle-mode.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for suggesting that! I'm so glad to be linking up– even if I'm not quite in my 20s yet ;)

      Delete
  2. I needed to read this exact post today. A few weeks away from 27 and I'm thinking "Oh My Dear Lord.. sometime soon... my husband.. please?!" It will be worth the wait, I just have to enjoy today and trust God has this amazing story planned out for him and I just have to enjoy today while I'm here. Thank you for your sweet encouraging words!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am SO glad that you were encouraged here! Like I said, waiting can be hard, but it's definitely worth it. And you're right– enjoy today and all God is offering in another new day and just pray, pray, pray about His plan for you! :)

      Delete
  3. Ah Julie, PREACH IT GIRL! These are all beautiful truths that I know will speak to so many, including myself!! I am thankful so have you to pour wisdom into my life :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad it spoke to you Amy! I was just feeling this on my heart and wanted to share all the encouragement I could give on the subject!

      Delete
  4. I don't even know where to begin after reading this post. At first, to tell you the truth, I was unsure because I thought it was going to be another one of those single ladies posts. But girl, this one ROCKED!! I loved how you pointed everything back to God and you encouraged us and shared about your journey, too.

    Loved it, love you, and love how encouraging you are, too! Waiting is tough stuff for all of us, but knowing that I'm not going it alone is always comforting. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you loved it, friend! I was just hoping to point anyone to God in any waiting period or single time in their life. Cause in the end, relationship or not, life is about Him and living it for His glory!

      Delete
  5. I love this, Julie! And I love your responses to Kiki: "[R]elationship or not, life is about Him and living it for His glory[.]" Amen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Annie! So glad you liked it :) It's so true too– it's ALL about Him, no matter what status/stage of your life you're in!

      Delete