Wednesday, September 12, 2012

the "why" of blogging

Blogging can be frustrating, you know.

Because when you get deep deep deeeeep down in your heart– the place you sometimes don't care to admit is there– you wonder exactly why you are blogging. Well, at least I do.

As great as it is to know people are reading what I have to say, all about my adventures, etc, I find myself dissatisfied at times. Upset that I don't know how to grow a blog or get more followers. Upset that I feel "unpopular" or that I don't have enough to offer like what the many inspiring blogs or mommy blogs out there do. I know that it is selfish and wrong to think that way.

At those times I need to remind myself, Julie, this blog shouldn't be all about you. It should be about Him. Sure, sharing my memories will be great to look back on (and that's partly why I do blog), but in the end, shouldn't this little space on the Internet be about something more? About praise and glory going to our great God? About showing the world the light of Jesus? About inspiring others to follow Him?

It's a struggle, seeking the approval of followers when I should be seeking the approval of God. It's so hard to lose sight of that when, in a panic, I'm thinking of what I should post next or how I don't think it will be good enough, funny enough, clever enough for readers. But what if I just spoke the truth more often? Spoke to tell all about the Good News a little more often. Spoke to tell how this savior has changed my life.

This blog is all about my life. So, Jesus being the most integral part of my life, shouldn't I be using it to praise Him?

So after a lot of careful consideration, here's the answer to why I blog: I do this to share how Jesus shows Himself in my life. I don't have to be preaching everyday or sharing powerful stories like my testimony to do this. It can just be how I live my daily life according to Him. I'm not going to stop posting all my pictures from date nights or anything like that, but use them to show that I am happy. Happy because Jesus is in my life, and He has given me so many blessings that I show to all of you through this blog.

I've learned that all I can do here is pray. Pray that God takes this blog wherever it is supposed to go. If I'm only supposed to have so many followers, then so be it. I'm willing to accept that.

And I'm willing to just let God take the reigns on this one.


7 comments:

  1. I TOTALLY feel ya on this. I think I've noticed too, that you will never have "enough" followers. I hate to admit it, but it's like when you have 5, you want 20. When you have 20, you want 50. And so on, and so on. I used to get so upset when I'd see that I lost a follower, I took it as a personal hit to me. And sure, maybe it is. But now, I've tried to stop worrying about it as much, too. Like you said, it's a blessing to have a space where I can freely write about God and my love for Him. If the blog is meant to grow, it will grow. And if not, well I already have met amazing people like you through it! And that's enough for me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here! I'd always take it personally, as if I wasn't exciting enough, cool" enough, whatever. But now I've learned to just go with the flow when it comes to blogging! It makes it much more fun. And I'm also so glad to have met every amazing person I have so far– yourself included of course! It's great finding sisters in Christ or a little mini support system on here!

      Delete
  2. So true, sister! You keep being you and shining for Jesus - I love reading your heart on this beautiful blog :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'm so appreciative of your kindness and sweet encouragement all the time, Erin. I'm glad you enjoy reading my heart– as you know, it's not always easy putting it all out there on the internet :)

      Delete
  3. Yes....YES. I know exactly what you're saying. Like Amy said above, you never feel like you have "enough" followers. It really is true and something I have to keep myself in check about all the time. And growing your blog is HARD. Especially since I choose not to do sponsoring because I find it borderline obnoxious at times.

    You have the absolute perfect reason to blog: Jesus. That's all the motive or "why" you need. He's the only reason I've gotten ANY followers. He will use your blog and grow it just as He sees fit :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely not always easy, but it's something I'm slowly working on! I'm still going to have those days where I'm comparing my blog to others, but I'm learning that it doesn't matter anymore, because my blog is a representation of ME, so why should it look like anyone else's?! And it's amazing to know that this space is for Him and He has total control over all of it in the end :)

      Delete